Your Summer Checklist
Spread these tasks over a few weeks and you’ll be set for a worry-free, comfortable summer.
- Change the rotation of ceiling fans to the summer setting (usually counterclockwise) and give the unit a good dusting.
- Close the chimney damper to prevent insects from entering and to help keep cool air in.
- Switch out heavy bedding for lightweight summer fabrics. Have the winter bedding cleaned before storing it away for the season
- Repot houseplants to give their roots a fresh start for the summer.
- Power wash decks and patios and seal surfaces as appropriate.
- If paint is peeling, cracking, or chipped, repair and repaint now to limit damage to the underlying materials.
- Remove window screens and clean them with a soft brush and soapy water. Rinse well and allow them to dry in the sun before reinstalling.
- Have the air conditioning unit serviced to ensure peak operation. Promote good air flow by keeping plants around the outside unit trimmed back.
- Clear dirt and debris from gutters and eaves.
- Seal driveway cracks and keep walkways clear of debris and overgrown plants.